***It is recommended that you print this page to assist you in preparing your application***
January 31, 2014 - 5 p.m. RECEIPT deadline
FELLOWSHIPS OFFERED: Columbia University will offer at least 10 new Fellowships in 2014 to New York metropolitan area K-12 science classroom teachers. These awards will support your work in research laboratories over the course of two consecutive summers (2014 & 2015). Applicants who wish to participate in this program must be committed to working in a University research laboratory for eight weeks in EACH ofTWO consecutive summers. The proposed fellowship stipend each summer will be $6,000, pending sufficient program funding.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Applications are accepted from:
Science teachers currently employed in any public, independent or parochial K-12 school in the New York metropolitan area. The applicant must be committed to continue teaching in New York area K-12 schools. We are looking for dynamic, energetic and communicative professionals who show leadership and initiative in their schools, and a desire to stimulate their students, transmitting to them their enthusiasm for science and for learning.
Applicants must be either a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien. NO EXCEPTIONS. Proof of status will be required
SCHEDULE: The 2014 program will begin on Friday, June 27 and conclude Wednesday, August 20, 2014. A series of seminars on selected topics of broad general interest will be presented for participants throughout the summer. Program participants will present their research projects during the final week of the program.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (due by January 31, 2014):
1) Online 2014 Research Fellowship Application
2) TWO letters of recommendation from individuals who know you and your work. One letter must be from either the head of your department or your school principal, preferably from both. Please provide the guidelines to those from whom you will be requesting recommendations. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure each letter of recommendation is placed in a separate envelope, sealed with their signature across the envelope flap and included with the other required application documents.
3) Your CURRENT C.V. (resume). The C.V. must not exceed two pages and should include the following information:
- Education (include schools, degrees and dates)
- Professional experience (include dates & places of employment)
- Related professional experiences in addition to primary teaching experience
- Memberships in professional organizations
4) One COPY of your State or local Science Teacher Certification or License OR proof of eligibility (applicants who do not hold a science certificate or license may submit copies of college transcripts indicating sufficient coursework to be eligible for a science license and/or certificate).
ALL supporting documents must be returned inONE envelope (hand deliver, US Postal Service or overnight carrier)
NOTE:Applicants who submitted a COMPLETE program application in 2013, with letters of recommendation, must complete the online application to be considered for the 2014 Program. An updated C.V. (Resume) is also required (maximum two pages). Submitting new letters of recommendation and updated copies of your certification is optional.
Submit all supporting documents in one envelope to:
Summer Research Program for Science Teachers
Russ Berrie Pavilion
1150 St. Nicholas Avenue | 5th floor | Room 508
New York, NY 10032
All documents must be RECEIVED no later than JANUARY 31, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. FAXED OR E-MAILED DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. You will receive confirmation of the Program's receipt of your completed application.
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Programís Advisory Committee. Applicants selected for personal interviews will meet with the Advisory Committee members and at least one faculty member from a laboratory conducting research in an area of interest to the applicant. Assignment to a laboratory will be by mutual agreement of the applicant and the head of the laboratory. Applicants will be notified of their status by early May 2014.
New applications are considered INCOMPLETE without at least TWO letters of recommendation, a CURRENT C.V. (resume), and a COPY of your State or City Science Teacher Certification or License (or proof of eligibility).
***We recommend that you complete the ESSAY questions in a word processing program prior to beginning the electronic application. Once in the essay section of the application, cut and paste your responses from your word processing program into the appropriate spaces on the electronic application. Each essay question should not exceed 250 words.***
*Please note that once you begin the application, you must complete it during the online session. You are not able to leave and return to complete it at a later time*
To assist you in planning your essays and other required application information, you may preview the application (PDF). Please do NOT use this copy as your 2014 application. Only online applications will be accepted.